Tel. 931 797 376 Tel. 633 312 126 (WhatsApp)
Ronda de la Universidad 17, entresuelo 4b
Some patients are convinced that once they get a dental crown, it won't last them longer than 3 years and, eventually, they'd have to remove the tooth.
Despite the fact that this is no longer the case, there are patients who are still trying to avoid crowns and restore their teeth with “filling”, i.e. composite resin. The direct composite restoration is widely used and almost every dental clinic offers this procedure, including Diente Sano dental clinic in Barcelona.
When would we choose a direct composite restoration over a crown? Just so you understand, the anterior composite restoration is practically a veneer, but made with the composite resin rather than the porcelain.
Advantages of composite veneers:
1. Speed. Composite veneers are a same-day treatment, you'd have your tooth restored in a single appointment. Porcelain veneers require more time, as they need to be made in the offsite lab and you'd have to visit your dentist several times, before you finally have the smile you wanted.
2. Cost. Price is one of the chief advantages of the composite bonding. Porcelain veneers tend to cost twice as much as composite ones, due to the price of the material, as well as the complexity of work (they require lab work, as we've seen above).
3. Posterior fix. If something happens with the composite-restored tooth over time, you schedule an appointment with your dentist, and it can easily be fixed, polished, reshaped, etc. Porcelain veneers are practically impossible to restore "in your mouth".
Disadvantages of direct composite veneers:
1. Durability. Composite resin cannot compete with porcelain in durability. Porcelain is a far stronger material and can last 10-15 years vs. 5-7 years life span of the composite bonding.
2. Aesthetics. Over the past years there have been improvements in the composite material; nevertheless, porcelain veneers are comparable to the actual tooth enamel in aesthetics. Composite veneers cannot offer a look as natural and as translucent as porcelain.
3. Extra care. Composite veneers are porous and are not resistant to staining. They require extra care. With composite bonding you'd need to visit your dentist once every year or two, in order to polish it, etc. With porcelain veneers it’s enough to keep a good hygiene.
Direct composite restoration is a great solution if you need a cost-effective solution, or require an urgent restoration. One thing to consider is that after you get a composite veneer, it's unlikely that you'd be able to change it to the porcelain one with time. In this case, it would be better to get the ceramic crown that would serve you many years. At the end of the day, your dentist should help you determine the right solution.
At Diente Sano dental clinic in Barcelona, we have the best teeth restoration specialists that will help you choose the right option, taking into account all of your personal considerations.
The first consultation and financial plan are free of charge.
Schedule your appointment at 633312126 (WhatsApp), we are located in the very center of Barcelona, next to Pl. Catalunya.